Editing (1)

After how my day of filming went, I wasn’t expecting well shot footage or interesting film shots and unfortunately this was the case. When going through my footage, I could see instantly that some shots were foggy where the camera lens had steamed up, some were out of focus and most were wobbly and not long enough. Ultimately, out of the mere 78 shots that I filmed, there were probably 10 shots that I felt were up to standard for my A level coursework. However, due to the fact that I am already behind schedule as I chose to film a week after everybody else I chose to try and put something together to see whether or not the footage that I had filmed was acceptable; it wasn’t. I have put together a very rough edit with the footage I filmed yesterday in an attempt to understand where I went wrong with filming and to mainly see how I could improve it. To create my rough edit I first had to upload my footage onto the desktop and then onto Final Cut:

I will then need to go through the same process to import my sound, but I won’t include the sound I recorded in my rough edit since the sound from the camera is clear enough and I will not be using any of this footage in my final film.

To begin editing, I started with the first shot of my film and started to build it up in the order of my storyboard.  Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 15.28.17.png

The yellow boxes around each shot allowed me to choose which parts of the shot I wanted to feature in my film, so that if anything was out of focus or if the camera moved I could just cut it out. This can then be refined once I have dragged the clip onto the editing bar, by sliding the yellow bracket to chop off parts at the start and end of each shot. Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 15.30.26.png

I then did this for every shot that I wanted to feature. However, whilst my initial plan was to insert shots following my storyboard and in that order, I quickly found that a lot of my shots weren’t complete. For example, when the woman asks about Andy and his wife, I didn’t actually film her walking away and therefore I had to just cut the shot part way through and include a fade, which just makes for poor story telling; this is the same for the gentle man who offered Andy the leeks.

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 10.45.43.png

So, to make the editing process a little easier for myself, I just began putting in sequences of shots that I knew all linked together, such as the match on action I filmed for when Andy was reading in the green house and when he goes to pick up his tools. Once I had filled in all the shots that were continuous with one another, I then attempted to add in the shots that were poorly filmed and that I should’ve filmed more than once and from multiple angles, as they are less than interesting and are just boring to watch.

I struggled with the scene with the dog. I should have predicted that dogs are unreliable when it comes to expecting them to do something and more often than not they will do the opposite. The dog belongs to me, and before filming we bought her favourite treats to bury in the ground to get her to sniff in that area. However, due to the excitement of everyone being on set it took a while for her to settle down, and even then she wasn’t really too interested in the treat. Due to the poor weather, we were a bit conscious that she was shaking a lot so she needed to go back into the car, which ended up in me only having taken two shots that were very poor in quality.Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 15.43.18.png

The shot I used in my rough cut had feet in it, so had to be cropped down, which I felt made the shot look a bit blurry and just not very attractive.

Also, in a couple of my shots there are rain drops on the actual camera lens despite the fact that I was continually wiping the screen to prevent it fogging up.

Here is my very very rough cut:

Overall, I’m not very happy with what I filmed on Sunday and I don’t really think that I could produce an enjoyable and cinematically interesting short film with the footage I’ve taken so far. I still need to finish the ending of my short film, where the wife is murdered but after how yesterday went and the footage that has come from it, I’m considering changing the ending so that the final scene is shot inside which will hopefully give me chance to film some interesting shots. I will need to re-film everything this coming Sunday due to how disappointing my footage has turned out, but if anything it has been a learning curve that will ensure my filming next weekend runs as smoothly and as well planned as possible.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s